Saturday, November 28, 2009

We were so full of hope

Sometimes it's hard to think back to our (Matt's and mine) first Christmas together.  I was pregnant with Cora.  It was our only Christmas with her.  As I decorated my tree, I thought of how I would have to babyproof the tree the next year.  I thought of how wonderful it would be to get baby's first ornament, fill a stocking for her, take her to get pictures with Santa.  Thinking back on how I felt that Christmas hurts because it's so different now.  But she's not forgotten.  She's always part of our Christmas.

This was an ornament we were given that Christmas.  My mother was so excited for her first grandchild and it showed.


This is Cora's stocking.  I put a gift to the family in it so it's not empty.  This year I'm going to write her a letter to put in it too.  I meant to last year, but never got around to it.

And lately there's a Christmas song that just strikes me a little bit differently:

"Blue Christmas" by Elvis

I'll have a Blue Christmas without you
I'll be so blue just thinking about you
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me

And when those blue snowflakes start falling
That's when those blue memories start calling
You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue blue blue Christmas

(Instrumental Break)

You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white,
But I'll have a blue, blue Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment