Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March

March has always been a fun month for my family.  There's a lot of Irish heritage on my mother's side, and she has red hair, so she's always been proud of it.  The green takes over the house in March.

My oldest brother has auburn hair, and when he was in 6th grade he was on the short side.  He decided that year that he wanted to dress up as a leprechaun on St. Patrick's day and take a pot of worther's original candies to school.  Mom thought it was a great idea.  He apparently told some kids during his lunch period they could have his "gold" if they caught him.  Pictures of him being chased outside the school made it into the yearbook.

That was one of the things that has made me want a redheaded child.  A girl though.  Not necessarily to dress her like a leprechaun, but redheads have more fun on St. Patrick's Day.  It's my favorite holiday, and I've always wanted to share that with a redhead.

I do share it with my living (blonde) children.  After all, I'm a blonde, so blonde hair doesn't mean that St. Patrick's Day can't be special.  But since Cora's birth, and seeing her beautiful curly red hair, St. Patrick's Day just hasn't been the same.  My concept of a redhead St. Patrick's Day has been the only thing I planned to do with Cora that I haven't been able to do with my other children.  I can't even explain how it would be different, because I don't think I would do anything differently.

I guess it's just one of those broken dreams that I have a million of.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Brittanie. I'm so sorry that your little red-head isn't here to enjoy St Patrick's Day with you.
    My husband is half Irish and a red head to boot. I do wonder if our other twin about have been auburn haired. But I will never know as, unlike your Cora, she didn't have much hair at birth. x

    ReplyDelete