Monday, May 24, 2010

Cookies

One of my favorite memories with my mother is making cookies with her.  I vividly remember the day she let me crack an egg myself for the first time.  Making food together is a way that we bonded, and usually it was cookies or some other sort of sweet.

So when I found out Cora was a girl, one of the things I most looked forward to and dreamed about most was teaching her to make cookies.  I still have an image in my mind.

Today my little Erin, who is nearly 3, asked me "Mommy, I make cookies witchoo?"  I love that she loves to make cookies, too.  As she was dumping the cupfuls of ingredients that I handed to her into the bowl, that image came back into my mind.  The dream and the reality are very similar.
But my happiness I felt in spending time with my sweet little girl was echoed by the grief of not getting to with her big sister.  If Cora had lived, and I had somehow accidentally conceived Erin 5 months later, I would have been making cookies with 2 little girls today.  I felt that hole.  I hope she was looking down on us and smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment