Thursday, April 29, 2010

A great line from a TV show


I don't know, maybe it's because I'm at that point where I'm reliving everything over and over that this hit me so hard.

I'm watching an episode of the TV show Mercy. Veronica is a nurse who did a medical tour in Iraq (or Afghanistan?). She's talking to her therapist about all the people who died in her care, and how she can't help but feel like it's her fault because she couldn't do enough.
The therapist says "You're just going to have to let it go."
Veronica shakes her head and then says "But, I can't help but thinking 'what if.'"
And the therapist says "That is how you go crazy."

She made the really great point that the kids who died didn't die because of her and what she couldn't do. They died because of the war. They died because of the bullet holes.

Cora didn't die because of what I couldn't do. She died because of a cord accident.

It was NOT my fault.

edited to add another one. "Sometimes you do everything that you can, and you still get a bad outcome. That's just how it is sometimes."

1 comment:

  1. I really really agree. You can do everything right the whole of your life and still you have challenges. Not fair but someday.

    ReplyDelete