Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter

"But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (1 Cor. 15: 20-22)

I always loved Easter as a child, and not necessarily just the Easter Bunny and the chocolate.  But my family is a very religious family, and Easter was loved equal to (and almost more than) Christmas.  Being Christian, Easter does have deep personal meaning.  I love my Savior, and am so grateful that he paid for my sins, and is perfecting my imperfections.  My family focused on that part.  We celebrated the empty tomb, but my father's family sermons were mainly focused on 3 days prior, on what His suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane meant for each one of us personally.

Easter means that death is not the end.  As a child that meant to me that I would be able to live again after I die, and that I would live with my family, and since we were all alive it was just sort of taken for granted.  It was an abstract reassurance.  Comforting when I thought about it, yes, but not needed right then.

But now, now Easter has so much more meaning for me.  Easter is a day that I celebrate that because Christ was resurrected, we all will be yes, but that means Cora will be.  I will be able to hold her in my arms again, and I will be able to see her smile, and hear her laughter, and watch her play, and give and receive all the hugs and kisses that were torn from me here in this life.

I was asked once by someone who didn't believe if I really believed it.

I don't believe, I know.  With everything I've got in me.  With every breath and every beat of my heart I know it.  I will get my Cora back.  And that brings me such joy.

1 comment:

  1. That one talk in General Conference reminded me of you. I am so glad you didn't get bitter, but that you turned to the Lord. You are such a strength to me of how we should be strong through our trials and afflictions. I also had a thought. Maybe our family is about to have two sister missionaries. I'll be number 2.

    ReplyDelete